Let’s Re-Read Breaking Dawn Together! Chapter 23
Welcome to the BreakingDawnMovie.org’s Community Re-read!
While we impatiently wait for Breaking Dawn part 2 to be released, we continue with our highly-popular Community Re-Read!
Every Tuesday & Friday, I’ll post a breakdown for each chapter in the book, counting down the days until the official release of the film on November 16th. Let’s get started, dig out your copy of Breaking Dawn, read the chapters together with us, and discuss anything you may find of interest that you might have missed the first or twentieth time around. Let’s continue our journey into FOREVER.
Chapter 23: Memories
“What if I didn’t have to be a newborn? Not in the crazed killing-machine sense, anyway. What if I could fit right in with the Cullen’s from my first day? What if we didn’t have to hide out somewhere remote for a year while I ‘grew up’? What if like Carlisle, I never killed a single person? What if I could be a good vampire right away? I could see Charlie…”
*Oh Bella, these are the things that sadden my heart. So now we are up to the point where Bella has to deal with the aftermath of her attacking Jacob. Bella learned that Jacob finally imprinted and can leave her the heck alone once and for all…too bad he imprinted on Renesmee.
- Pg. 452-454 Apparently Jacob has 9 lives. Seth jumped in between Jacob and Bella just as Bella went to attack, resulting in a broken shoulder and a broken collarbone for poor Seth Clearwater. Bella feels horrible and can’t stop apologizing. Seth continues to assure Bella all is well, but we all know Bella she will continue to loathe herself. Seth jokes about Bella biting him. This is where we learn that Renesmee isn’t venomous. Carlisle is fast to work on Seth’s injuries patches him up and tells him to stay still for a while since he heals fast.
- Pg. 456 Things are very quiet in the Cullen manor for the moment. This gives Bella sometime to think about so many things. Sam Uley’s pack for one. Bella recalls that the feud between the Quileute’s and the Cullen’s is now non existent. The rule states that no wolf can ever kill the person that another wolf has imprinted on…ever. They are totally off limits, so Renesmee and the Cullen’s are free and clear.
- Pg. 458-459 Bella continues to stew. Next up is Charlie. Bella becomes very tense when thinking about what to do about her dad. She wonders if she should let the others tell him, that she is dead. Jasper to the rescue! “What’s the matter, Bella?” Jasper asked quietly, reading my growing tension. “I was thinking about Charlie, actually. We really have to leave, don’t we? For a while, at the very least. Pretend we’re in Atlanta or something?” “Yes. It’s the only way to protect your father.” “I’m going to miss him so much. I’ll miss everyone here.” *Bella then continues to think about Jacob and not having him around Renesmee. It’s going to take Bella a while to get used to Jake and Renesmee being inseparable, lol. Bella slowly begins to realize that Jacob will be apart of Renesmee’s life from now on.
- Pg. 460-461 It’s six o’clock, time to measure Nessie! “Oh. You do this everyday?” “Four times a day,” Carlisle corrected absently as he motioned the others toward the couch. “Four times? Every day? Why?” “She’s still growing quickly,” Edward murmured to me, his voice quiet and strained. *Bella then realizes there are some slight changes to her newborn daughter. Renesmee seemed to grow a bit longer, her face began to change and her hair grew. While the Cullen’s are weary, Jacob insists that Nessie’s rapid growth is slowing down.
- Pg. 462-470 This chapter ends with Jasper leaving the house stressed, confused, and doubting hundreds of years of perfect knowledge, and Bella reminiscing about her human life, her vampire life and how to deal with the two. Bella takes her daughter and they begin their bonding process. Renesmee begins to show Bella all of her thoughts. Bella sees human blood in these thoughts and in a second Jasper and Edward run to restrain her. Another overreaction since Bella is more of a veteran than a newborn. Jasper having enough bolts out of the door. “I can’t understand,” Jasper said. “I can’t bear this.” I watched in surprise as Jasper strode out the back door. “Is he mad at me?” I asked quietly. Edward’s eyes widened. “No. Why would he be?” “What’s the matter with him then?” “He’s upset with himself, not you, Bella.”
*This was a short chapter which basically focused on Bella and all her feelings and her new world. I feel terrible for Bella, again her life could’ve been so different. It makes me sad at times. She has had the worse pregnancy and an even more horrific delivery and now she can’t even bond with her baby properly. This isn’t how it was supposed to be for young Bella. However this is the path she chose and I have to accept that, lol Sorry I get soooo wrapped up! What are your thoughts on all this? What about Charlie?
Category: Breaking Dawn Book